Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Quitting My Job

A perfect workplace, does not exist. There are few perfect managers and there are no perfect employees. However there are near perfect environments. In a near perfect environment the needs of employees are met and the concerns of management are also met. This can happen in an environment of communication and consideration.

I was wondering that whether I have quit in anger but the answer is 'no'. There are areas of concern which I have addressed in my blog. I have even requested my business head to read it. I have addressed the concerns in written and verbally, without effect.

Things have only been noticed when the water has flowed above the head and mind you this was not a flood but a Tsunami. Quitting is often not the best solution, however. Addressing the problem in an adult manner, accepting my part of the blame and allowing others to admit their imperfections, and I did try with a clarifications document. Though my business head read it...she said that she does not require any clarifications.

My question is why should critical feedback only be given during periodic reviews? Why should assumptions be made rather than taking the bull by the horns and taming it.

"The best reason to quit should be that you found something that pays well, is in your area of interest, and will provide you with a fulfilling reason to want to go to work, all the remainder of your days."

Now where does my scenario fit?

-Communication skills- clarity, timeliness

-Knowledge and skills

-Resourcefulness

-Reliability

-Leadership

Keeping these aside is the consideration that how much I can value add to an organization and how difficult it will be to replace me...am I really worth retaining?

I don't know who will answer these!

No comments: