Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The 'Bathsheba' in My Life


I guess my relationship with my boss has become just like the one between Bathsheba Everdene and Gabriel in Hardy's 'Far From The Madding Crowd'. I am going away yet her pride will not let her say that she needs me. Only when there is a cause outside and one related to the organization, then and only then will she realize.
I never thought I will meet a Bathsheba in real life. A Bathsheba who saved Gabriel...a Bathsheba who saved me.

My Life has become one with the novel. The only difference being that Gabriel did win her in the end and I do not know since my future and destiny might take me far away.

There was also a Bathsheba in bible. This is about her.
"David, the first king of a united Israel, conqueror of an empire running from the edge of Egypt to the Euphrates River in modern-day Iraq, is one of the Bible's greatest heroes. His life and his character are documented in the Old Testament's books of Samuel and the first of the books of Chronicles. In many ways, David is the Old Testament's golden child: a charismatic shepherd boy who manages to slay Goliath with a slingshot, a successful warrior, and later a pious ruler. As author Jonathan Kirsch wrote in his biography of David, David is "the original alpha male," the "first superstar." But every hero must have a fatal flaw, and David's unchecked lust for Bathsheba becomes his fatal weakness.
In contrast to David, Bathsheba's thoughts and her character are in most circumstances mute, well cloaked in the sparse lines of the Hebrew text. Some biblical scholars describe Bathsheba as articulate and willful, while others say those accounts consist of unsubstantiated speculation. But one thing about Bathsheba is clear: It is she alone who sparks a sudden transition in David's life. The implications of their affair will dominate his remaining years. Through the life of David and into the life of her son King Solomon, Bathsheba plays many roles: object of lust, wife, mother, and influential queen."

In 'Far from The Madding Crowd', Bathsheba is a beautiful, well-educated, smart and at times vain character. She is young and inexperienced yet she goes forward with managing the farm. She does not take Gabriel seriously and only after quite some time and through ups and downs she admits that he is her closest and most loyal friend and rewards his love by marrying him.

She was the stuff that great mens' mothers are made of.

Thomas Hardy's 'Far From The Madding Crowd', features her as an independent woman with the courage to defy convention by running a farm herself. Although Bathsheba's nature leads her into serious errors of judgment, Hardy endows her with sufficient resilience, intelligence, and good luck to overcome her youthful folly.

I can see the same spark in my boss. I am also faithful to her. Things are left to time. I have sincerely striven to help her in her work though it was beyond my purview. I also care about her. With a crumbling personal life I am playing with fire. I can't help it. The 'Gabriel' in me is deeply in love with the 'Bathsheba' in her and Gabriel is also the name of an angel. I am going, I have said and I have no doubts about my decision. But she can stop me only if she understands what's there in between the lines.

No comments: